GEAR THAT WILL KEEP YOU IN THE LOOP
Keeping information flowing in and sharing it with family or group members are both crucial during threatening times. In addition to news coverage available from traditional sources such as television and broadcast radio, Internet sources can fill in details and provide more-timely updates to rapidly evolving situations. Monitoring public safety and other two-way radio communications can yield real-time intelligence, allowing you to adjust your strategy.
Satisfying the demands of power-hungry electronic gear is essential at home, on the road and at your off-grid bug-out location. The following items will help ensure your communications plan will endure, whatever might come.
The Icom IC-R30 is a dual band, dual recording receiver. Covering 0.1–3304.999 MHz, the R30 portable receiver allows users to decode multiple digital modes, as well as traditional analog modes. The large LCD display makes operating the radio a breeze, with a new, intuitive user interface that allows you to see information from the dual receivers. With dual-receiver operation, you can simultaneously listen to two signals and record the activity to share the news with others. The supplied Li-ion battery provides almost 8.5 hours of operating time.
- Channels: 2,000 with 100 groups
- Decodes digital, including P25, NXDN, D-STAR
- RX analog, including USB, LSB, CW, AM, FM and WFM
- Built-in GPS receiver shows location and other information
- Multiple scan functions, including near station scan based on GPS location
- IP57 weatherproof rating
The MMR-88 is a rugged, digital AM/ FM Public Alert-certified radio with three charging modes (hand crank, USB and solar power). No matter where you are, the MMR-88 lets you listen to your favorite music, news and radio programs while keeping you safe with up-to-date weather forecasting and alerts. With a built-in, adjustable LED ﬂashlight and loud emergency buzzer, you’ll carry safety with this radio no matter where you go.
- Built-in, high-power 850mAh lithium-ion battery
- Integrated, state-of-the-art solar panel
- USB charging socket to recharge mobile devices
- Dimensions: 6×3.3×2.75 inches
- Weight: 13.8 ounces
The Uniden BearTracker 885 keeps you up to date with current public safety activity anywhere in the United States and Canada by scanning for police, ﬁre, ambulance and DOT radio traffic. There’s no need to worry about changing scanner programming as you drive: The included GPS allows the BearTracker 885 to automatically select nearby channels from its nationwide database, which is updated every week so you can load the latest via the included BearTracker Update Manager. The database includes all known analog and digital channels, so all you have to do is drive and listen.
- Full-featured, 40-channel CB radio
- Digital trunktracking scanner
- Scan system types include conventional analog, Motorola, LTR, EDACS, APCO P25 Phase I and Phase II
- Weather Alert and PA functions
- Built-in antenna check system and SWR meter
The Weego N66 is a portable jump-starter that also does much more. It is capable of powering a mobile transceiver (CB, amateur radio, GMRS, etc.), recharging laptop computers, cell phones and other mobile devices, and sending a visual SOS with its built-in LED ﬂashlight. If you have to jump-start your vehicle, the revolutionary “Smarty Clamps” make the N66 one of the safest, easiest and most reliable portable jump-starters on the market. It can jump-start 12-volt cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles and other gasoline engines up to 10 liters and diesel engines up to 5 liters.
- IP65 rating for water, dust and dirt resistance
- Good for 1,000 recharging cycles
- Up to three years of standby power on a single charge
- Outputs: USB/12VDC/19VDC
- Integrated 600-lumen ﬂashlight with multiple modes
- Built-in charge/status indicators
Use the Schneider Electric APC Back UPS Pro anywhere uninterrupted power is needed. It offers pure sinewave AC output when running on batteries. Two integrated USB ports will charge cell and smart phones and other mobile devices. It has 10 outlets (six NEMA 5-15R battery backup and four NEMA 5-15R for surge protection only). There is seamless roll-over to batteries when utility power fails. Automatic voltage regulation provides boost and trim when incoming power ﬂuctuates. AC, cable coax and data line surge protection is built in. The maintenance-free, sealed lead acid battery lasts from three to ﬁve years.
- Maximum power capacity: 900 watts/1.5 KVA
- Nominal output voltage: 120VAC, pure sinewave
- Typical recharge time: 16 hours
The Lycan Powerbox is a portable solar storage solution that puts abundant energy where you need it. Weighing 55 pounds and mounted on multi-terrain wheels, the Lycan can easily be adapted to a variety of applications: on camping trips, as an alternative power source at home, or in case of a power outage. The Lycan can be charged via solar, a wall outlet or a 12-volt auto socket. In turn, it can be used to power or charge a number of appliances and devices.
- Battery: Interchangeable LiFePO4 (44.8 V/24 amp hour)
- Cycle life: 2,000 cycles to 80% capacity; 100% discharge ability
- Nine output connections: (3) 110VAC, (2) 12VDC, (4) USB
- Dimensions: Lycan Powerbox- 14.5×13.4×11.8 inches
- Dimensions: 100-watt Solar Suitcase, folded- 19.9×27.2×2.8 inches; 27 pounds
Editor’s note: A version of this article first appeared in the Prepper Fall, 2018 print issue of American Survival Guide.