The VP series from Heckler and Koch represents the company’s foray into the world of striker-fired handguns. With superb ergonomics and flawless execution, the VP9 and VP40 raise the bar on combat handgun performance. The newest VP9 Tactical includes elevated sights and a threaded barrel, while both versions are also now available with flat dark earth frames.
- Includes three 15-round (9mm) or 13-round (.40 S&W) magazines
- Uncompromisingly reliable
- Ambidextrous controls
- German engineering and quality
Launched amid a massive months-long advertising campaign, the Springfield Amory SAINT is the first new firearm line Springfield has fielded since its superb XD series handguns. The SAINT is a midrange utility rifle that incorporates the cool stuff you need without the fluff you don’t. Focused on the prepared American who is willing to assume responsibility for their security, the SAINT is a reasonably priced, general-purpose working rifle that is very well executed. It is Springfield Armory’s first new rifle since the M1A.
- 16-inch chrome-moly-vanadium barrel with 1:8 twist
- 56x45mm NATO (.223 Rem)
- Exclusive Bravo Company PKMT KeyMod handguard
- Bravo Company buttstock and pistol grip
- Optimized defensive carbine
The Comp-Tac Trojan Horse Long Gun Case is designed to carry your favorite compact black rifle safely and unobtrusively. Looking like little more than a souped-up tennis racquet carrier, the Trojan Horse allows you to pack serious heat in public without alarming those around you. This case is heavy duty, well executed and amazingly inexpensive.
- Robust and well made
- Rigid side panels hide your long gun in plain sight
- Measures 36x15x4 inches
- Fits up to a 20-inch barrel with collapsible stock
- Heavy-duty zipper is rigged for quick deployment
The .45-caliber Texan pre-charged air rifle from Air Force ain’t your daddy’s pellet gun. Launching lead slugs the size of your thumb at velocities adequate to take pigs or deer, the Texan brings centerfire power to the realm of airguns. For the serious shooter who is ready for something really different, the Texan is the air gun you can use for hunting, recreation and security.
- The world’s most powerful production air rifle
- .45 caliber
- Pre-charged pneumatic air rifle
- Up to 1,100 fps
- Up to 500 foot-pounds of energy
- Also available in .357 and .308
The NCStar MOD2 optic offers a broad selection of features at a reasonable price. Orbiting around an illuminated-reticle 4X optical sight, the ECO also includes a laser designator, as well as red/white LED navigation lights. The top of the unit sports a set of fixed backup sights, and the entire rig is encased in a robust aluminum chassis.
- Blue reticle illuminator, green laser, and red and white navigation LEDs
- Cast-aluminum body with tan powdercoat finish
- Versatile enough for any survival application
- Includes one CR123A battery
The new HK SP5K is a semiautomatic sporting version of the classic MP5K submachine gun. Featuring all that classic MP5 “cool,” along with a nifty bungee sling and a removable optics rail, the SP5K feeds from a 30-round magazine and runs via the roller-locked delayed blowback operating system. As dependable as it is awesome, the SP5K is classy, refined and effective.
- Based on the classic HK MP5K submachine gun
- Reliably feeds any 9mm bullet geometry
- Smooth, reliable and rugged
The Smith & Wesson M&P CORE (“competition optics ready”) combat handgun is an updated version of S&W’s classic 9mm M&P that is now equipped to accept a sound suppressor and micro-red-dot sight. Available with both ported and threaded barrels, the M&P 9 CORE sports raised iron sights, interchangeable backstraps and a superb striker-fired trigger with adjustable overtravel.
- Race gun features at a reasonable price point
- Capacity: 17+1 (threaded barrel)
- Run the gun either ported or suppressed by swapping out barrels
Kel-Tec is a gun company that is reliably unusual. Its SUB-2000 pivots around its midpoint to produce a long gun that folds into a tidy, 16-inch package. The gun uses readily available magazines and snaps instantly into firing position. A bull pup design sporting low recoil and light weight, the SUB-2000 is versatile and refreshingly different.
- Perfectly sized for backpack carry
- Easily disassembled without tools
- Variants use Glock, SIG, S&W or Beretta pistol magazines
- Available in 9mm and .40 S&W
Throughout the tumultuous path the American gun market has taken over the past decade, one of the most consistently hard-to-find staples has been .22LR ammunition. Now, AMG allows you to reload your own .22LR rounds without a lot of expensive hardware. AMG produces its own priming compound, but you can safely improvise your own out of matchheads or toy caps. Within the technical capabilities of any reasonably savvy American shooter, the AMG .22-caliber reloading system means you never need to run out of rimfire ammo.
- A superb addition to any survival loadout
- Uses AMG primer compound or improvise your own
The Baby Eagle III from Magnum Research is an updated version of the Israeli Jericho service pistol—itself an adaptation of the Czech CZ75. The Baby Eagle III incorporates the aesthetics of the gas-operated Desert Eagle guns into something a bit more manageable. Built around an indestructible steel frame, the Baby Eagle effectively tames the .45ACP round in a platform that is both comfortable and effective.
- A lineage born of combat service
- The “little brother” to the legendary Desert Eagle
- Available in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP
Available with a dark earth KimPro II two-tone finish, threaded barrel and a red laser sight, the Kimber Warrior SOC TFS (threaded for suppressor) is the apex predator among 1911 handguns. Incorporating Kimber’s legendary quality in an Information Age 1911 combat handgun that just drips “cool,” the Warrior SOC (TFS) is what other 1911 pistols aspire to be.
- Magazine capacity: 7
- Desert tan Crimson Trace Rail Master laser sight
- Kimber G-10 tactical grips
James Wesley Rawles is a former Army Intel-ligence officer, author and recognized survival expert. The Rawles Voyager folder from Cold Steel sports a tanto-style, partially serrated blade that folds into an indestructible OD-green Griv-Ex handle. Made from American CTS XHP steel and finished with a durable diamond-like coating, the Rawles Voyager is optimized for survival.
- Partially serrated 5-inch, tanto-style blade
- Overall length: 25 inches
- Reversible pocket clip
- All profits on this knife are donated to charity
Editor’s note: A version of this article first appeared in a 2017 print issue of American Survival Guide.