Hot foods equal safety and comfort, especially when in the deep backwoods or on the move during a crisis or bug-out situation.
MREs, energy bars, trail mixes and such are all well and good when you need an energy boost or some quick calories, but nothing beats the feeling, aroma or taste of cooked meat or vegetables, especially when times are tough. This effective pick-me-up can be had rather easily with a good outdoor stove.
But, as most survival situations are varied, so too are the stove options. The assortment of designs and construction, fuel choices, pack sizes and weights and cost range are quite diverse. Your first consideration should be the type of fuel that would best suit your situation. In a woodland area, naturally wood or sticks would be the best. For urban areas, propane would be readily available and in more open terrain, solar may be an option.
The size of the stove is also an important factor, and the wide range of models accommodates everyone from the solo minimalist to those traveling by bug-out vehicle (BOV) and families relocating to their bug-out location.
Finally, you can go basic or get a stove with multiple functions and benefits. A simple tin-can stove may suit one person, while another may opt for a stove with a battery charger, lights and digital displays.
No matter what you choose, if it cooks you a hot meal and you feel content for a few hours, then mission accomplished!
Can you imagine preparing a hot and tasty pizza at your campsite, while you charge your smartphone? This incredible piece of equipment offers an integrated thermometer, ceramic cooking stone and thermoelectric tech that turns fire into useful electricity. The unit is fueled by twigs, sticks or firewood logs and folds down to store in its included carrying bag.
- Ideal for pizzas, flatbreads and similar specialties
- Large, 13.25-inch-diameter cooking surface
- 5-watt power output, plus 2,200 mAh on-board battery
- Weight: 17.92 pounds
This innovative collection of gear offers the ability to grill, boil and cook meals while in the great outdoors and, amazingly, it also can charge your small electronic devices. Utilizing wood scraps, sticks and twigs around your camp and even pellets, you’ll have a meal hot and ready in no time. The GrillTop is large enough for four juicy hamburgers, while the KettlePot boils water in mere minutes. Bundle includes the stove, FlexLight, firelighter, kettle pot, grill, instructions, USB cord and stuff sack.
- LED dashboard indicates fire strength, power output and fan speed
- Integrated 2,600 mAh battery stores energy for on-demand charging
- Ultra-thin stainless steel body
- Vertical cool touch handles
- Folds up for easy transport
Whether you use it while camping or while under emergency or survival conditions, this one-burner stove allows you to cook all the essentials for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Simple to use operation and easy cleanup ensure that you won’t be tied down for long, while the durable hard-shell carrying case keeps the unit safe while stowed. This stove makes a great addition to your bug-out kit, emergency bug-out location, or in your vehicle’s trunk.
- Total output: 8,000 BTUs/hour
- Appliance-style temperature controls
- 8-ounce butane canister is not included
- Porcelain drip tray for easy cleanup
Bake, roast and steam an incredibly tasty meal just about anywhere with the Sport solar stove. Utilizing a fast, solar cooking system, you and your partner will have a pipin’ hot meal in under thirty minutes whenever you find yourselves in the great outdoors. From meats, to vegetables, to starchy side dishes, whatever you crave will heat up to perfection under the shining sun.
- Lightweight, compact and easy to use
- Stainless steel frame
- All weather unit works even under clouds
- Fold-out legs offer stable support
- Easy-pull wood handles
Portability is the name of the game with this solar cooker. Like its name implies, the Go goes wherever you do to add a hot meal to your day. The unit functions under cloudy skies too, using breakthrough solar technology. This means no waiting for the rays to appear for your meal to be cooked thoroughly. The Go oven is perfect for beachside meals, rooftop dinners and, of course, your bug-out shelter.
- Compact unit weighs only 2 pounds
- Maximum temperature: 550 degrees (F)
- Fast, reliable and portable solar cooking
- Cooks most meals in less than a half-hour
- Ideal for hiking, camping, boating and survival uses
This clever portable solar and electric oven boasts an efficiency rate five times more than a traditional electric oven. Use when the sun is shining or in the darkest of night, it doesn’t matter; your food will still be hot and cooked to perfection. Its large capacity allows for the entire family to eat together. The included padded carrying case makes the unit portable wherever you need it. Also runs off 12-volt external power source (not included).
- Ideal off-grid oven
- Weight: 14 pounds
- Maximum temperature: 550 degrees (F)
- Feeds up to six people
- Cooks at night, indoors or when cloudy outside
The Onja offers a unique design, while being a practical mode of cooking during any outdoor adventure. The body extends for stability, while also protecting the burners from wind and breezes. Its oak lid doubles as a cutting board or plate to serve your tasty meal when completed. The Onja heats from Primus’ 100-gram, 230-gram, or 450-gram gas canisters (not included) that provide long-lasting cooking times.
- Compact, two-burner unit
- Use in rural and urban environments
- Burn time: 34 minutes using a 230-gram gas canister
- Includes carrying strap
This grill doesn’t use charcoal or wood but produces tasty barbecue foods like a champ. Equipped with a deep steel hood that seals in heat and flavors, and a nonstick ceramic plate for indirect cooking, the Kuchoma cooks foods to perfection. The entire unit was designed to be mobile, as all components fold down and the wood trimmed handle makes carrying between meals simple for everyone.
- Horizontal burner tube distributes heat for even cooking
- Nonstick grill allows for fast and easy cleanup
- Easy-start piezo ignition
- Deep hood covering for large grilling items
- Weighs only 10 pounds, ideal for on-the-go grilling
Weighing in at an impressive 4 pounds, this compact and ultra-packable wood-burning stove doesn’t skimp when it comes to reliable heat. The stove needs no hardware to assemble; just fold the walls into place and secure. The flue pipe rolls out and attaches with ease. This is an ideal stove for pyramid or teepee-style tents. Package includes the Fastfold Stove body, one rolled stove pipe, a tent protector sleeve, a spark arrestor, eight pipe rings and one carry bag.
- Crafted in titanium, excellent for heat-transfer efficiency
- Firebox capacity: 900 cubic inches
- Integrated airflow dampers help control burn rate
- Fuel type: Dry, seasoned wood
- Packed dimensions: 15x9x2 inches (stove); 12x1x1 inches (rolled pipe)
Harness the sun’s power to cook a hot meal for you and your family without the safety concerns associated with a fire. This oven utilizes powerful reflective panels that direct and focus the sun’s rays in such a way that your food heats through evenly and quickly. It’s spacious interior easily fits most pots and pans. Prepare for an emergency or just save energy and money, the Sun Oven is what you need.
- Cook, freeze dry or dehydrate foods
- Accessories and stackable pans available separately
- Multiple items can cook at the same time
- Ideal for use during power outages
Create a delicious meal even when Mother Nature throws her worst at you. This dual-burner stove features wind guard panels that block the breezes and enable you to keep a consistent cooking level for your meal. Additionally, built-in pressure control tech keeps a steady heat across all your cooking vessels. Afterwards, cleanup is simple – just remove the grate and wash as needed. The unit folds down and locks when not in use.
- WindBlock panels shield burners
- 22,000 total BTUs of cooking power
- Large enough for one 12-inch pan and one 10-inch pan
- PerfectFlow pressure control technology keeps heat steady in harsh conditions
- Chrome-plated grate removes for easy cleaning
Carry like a briefcase but cook like a pro with this portable dual-burner stove. The full-size, two-burner cooking area easily accommodates 10-inch pots or pans and allows you to prepare two types of food simultaneously. The push button ignition fires up the unit almost instantly, and the removable chrome-plated grates clean up in a snap. When the meal is done, just fold up the stove and stow it away.
- “Instastart” ignition for automatic matchless lighting
- Folding design for compact storage
- 20,000 total BTUs of cooking power
- Rust-resistant aluminized cooktop
- Uses a 16.4-ounce propane cylinder (sold separately)
The Oris is a complete cooking system, made for the serious outdoorsman. This unit is built tough enough to support up to 150 pounds on its steel supports. That’s a lot of chili! In the mood for bacon and eggs? No problem – just attach the cast-iron cowboy wok/Skottle and you’re good to go. The kit includes the stand, single burner, lid, carry bag in your choice of color and Skottle attachment. Made in the USA.
- Heavy-duty all-steel stand construction
- Single-burner BTUs: 10,000
- Legs remove for easy storage and transport
- Interchangeable cooking surfaces
- 17-inch cast-iron removable cooking surface
This amazing campsite workhorse offers patented fire mesh technology that makes your fire burn hotter and brighter due to increased air flow, and believe it or not, the entire pit cools down in under two minutes! Offering less bulk, less weight and greater fire efficiency, this pit/cooking stove will meet all your needs and far surpass them!
- Up to 22.5×22.5-inch grill area
- Weighs 16 pounds and packs to small size
- Aluminum and stainless steel construction
- Choose from Tri-Fold or Quad-Fold grills
MSRP Starts at $179.95
The Survivor Rocket Stove performs efficiently, is highly durable and uses secondary combustion to increase cooking power and allow for tasks unheard of from most compact camping stoves. This stove uses minimal biofuel to get the job done, which produces less char, low emissions and little smoke. Its all-stainless steel fuel shelf design doesn’t cut corners. Boiling water is a breeze, as is whipping up all sorts of tasty meals for your family.
- Solid stainless steel fuel shelf
- Burns clean, down to fine ash
- Incredible heat-transfer efficiency
- Optional accessories available for numerous cooking tasks
When a crisis hits, the Minuteman Rocket Stove should always be nearby. This compact yet incredibly powerful unit mimics the output of a kitchen stove when you’re bugging out or hunkered down. It utilizes twigs, sticks, pine cones, or any other biomass fuel that is nearly always available no matter where you are in the world. The stove burns efficiently and smokeless so your location will be hidden from others as you enjoy a hot meal. Built tough to withstand years of steady, repeated use.
- Useful in rural and urban settings
- Smokeless operation
- Burns wood or biomass for fuel
- Internal ceramic insulation provides high-efficiency heat production
- Made in the USA
Highly portable, yet powerful enough to tackle the needs for small groups or families staying in wall tents, teepees, shacks, tiny homes and other compact dwellings. Crafted from 304 stainless steel and built to last through blistering cold and harsh weather, you’ll enjoy even heat for cooking or keeping your space warm. The spring-loaded legs and shelves fold flat, while the other components stow perfectly inside the body of the stove. Convenience, durability and versatility are this stove’s top talents.
- Firebox capacity: 1,500 cubic inches
- Wide, tri-pod style legs keep the unit stable on most surfaces
- Integrated side shelves convert to carry handles
Don’t limit your culinary options just because you’re away from your kitchen. The Tupik stove can produce nearly the same results even in the backwoods. Equipped with steady legs, wind guard panels and a deep cover lid, the Tupik won’t let nature invade your meal as it cooks away on a total of 14,000 BTUs of power. A full stainless steel body, brass details and oak laths add refinement to a unit that will serve you year after year.
- Dual burners and controls allow independent cooking
- Wood-trimmed handle locks and makes transporting easy
- Custom die-cast aluminum griddle plate ensures even heat distribution
- Drip tray is removable for fast cleanup
- Works with 1-pound propane canisters (not included)
Editor’s note: A version of this article first appeared in the June, 2020 print issue of American Survival Guide.